The Missisquoi Pulp and Paper “Company” Store

Missisquoi Pulp and Paper Retail

The Missisquoi Pupl and Paper Company transformed Sheldon Springs into a “Company Town” similar to other smaller towns in New England where one industry prevailed.  As a means of providing utilities along with goods, the Mill built houses on Main Street, Mill Street, School Street and High Street which they rented out to employees with each area designated at laborers up to executives  The “Mill” provided water and electric utilities to the Springs as well as to other parts of Sheldon.  


For ten years Grant and Mary Wanzer Gorton operated the Missisquoi Company’s farm at Sheldon Springs and also ran a retail milk route from the farm.  He proved to be an outstanding member of the community.  He and Mary moved from the Springs in 1951



The Missisquoi Company Store Era

Cowles & Shepley 1900 – 1907

Burlington Free Press April 5, 1900

The original transaction occurred between W W Marcia and Mr. Shepley.  A Saint Albans Daily Messenger article dated Mar 27 1900 reads in part that: “H.E. Cowles has bought a share in the general store at Sheldon Springs.”

Saint Albans Messenger June 13, 1900:A new metallic pay station line connection was completed yesterday with Sheldon Springs.  The long distance telephone booth there has been placed in the store of Cowles & Shepley.





The Sheldon Historical Society holds two original 1901 letter heads from Cowles & Shepley.


The names Cowles and Shepley appear on this  letter to an attorney in St Albans

The handwriting is quite good.

The signature appears to be that of Mr. Cowles





Sheldon town records show the “Mill” leasing the store to others covered below.

The Royce Era 1907 to 1941

The Burlington Free Press March 2, 1907 H C Royce, formerly of this place, but now of Newport, has bought the stock of goods at Sheldon Springs and leased the store.  Mr. & Mrs. Royce expect to move there next week.”

The Saint Albans Messenger 1911: l mentions of the H C Royce store when it reported “Arthur J Magnant began working at the H.C. Royce Store. In a separate note we find that J.B. Danyaw worked for H.C. Royce until 1923 before opening his own store.

The Saint Albans Messenger 1912 an advertising piece in the Messenger for “Coffee” notes that H. C. Royce of Sheldon Springs carries the coffee product.

“Royce Store” 1925 prior to the time it was painted

Saint Albans Daily Messenger October 18, 1928
“Missisquoi Store had been painted.”

This photo shows the same store as white.
It remained this color and configuration
until being rebuilt by J Gordon Lehman
following the fire of July 12, 1949




Saint Albans Daily Messenger May 11 1932

This unique advertisement prices KEDS
for as little as $.79 and mentions a
“Theatre Party” 




Saint Albans Daily Messenger Jan. 1937

This advertisement for vanilla
supports the existence of both
the Missisquoi Store and the
“J B Danyaw” stores in Sheldon Springs.

Also in Sheldon were
F C Brown, Mabel Tilloston
and Charles Jones, Jr.







The Missisquoi Store – Don Little and William Hojaboom

Photo of Don Little and William Hogaboom in front of the Missisquoi Store

 “Donald Hubert Little attended schools in Sheldon and Swanton where he graduated from high school. He went to Business College in Schenectady, NY. After finishing school he worked in a drug store in Swanton for a while.  He helped his father for some time on the farm.  He went back into the store business at Sheldon Springs in 1934. Finally he started to work for the Miss. Co. where he stayed until his retirement in 1974” – From Ashton (1979 P 252)

Relatives on Don Little, who spent 40 years at the Missisquoi Mill, do recall that he and his brother-in-law William Hogaboom operated the store at a time prior to 1948 but believed that his employment at the mill included running the store.



J Gordon Lemnah 1941 to1956

On September 1, 1941 J Gordon Lemnah leased the store from the
Missisquoi Corp. and continued with renewals through 1956.

On July 12, 1949 around 4:30 the building caught fire but did not burn to the ground.
The article notes that the building was owned by the Missisquoi Pulp & Paper Company

A local resident who who lived on High Street at the time of the fire
recalls going into the store where damaged goods could be picked up
free or from a low price.  He recalls especially the cereal boxes.

Gordon and his brother rebuilt immediately.


 Dorothy Ashton “Sheldon, Vermont (1979) P 251

“J Gordon and Fern Lemnah began living in the town of Sheldon in 1942.  Gordon owned the store
at Sheldon Springs. (Joe’s Country Store) He retired from store business in 1959.
Godon has served the town as Lister, Selectman, Auditor, a member of the Zoning and Plan Board”



The Burlington Free Press June 12 1992

“John Gordon Lemnah, 81, a resident of St. Albans for the past 3 years
and a 38 year resident of Sheldon, died Thursday afternoon July 11, 1992
in the Medical Center Hospital of Vermont, following a long period of failing health.
Gordon was a grocer for over 25 years.
Before his retirement he was owner of Fruitland in Enosburg Falls
and Missisquoi Market in Sheldon Springs.
For a period of 22 years, he held various offices in the town of Sheldon.”



Joe’s Country Store 1959 to 1966

St Albans Daily Messenger January 2 1963

Clement J “Joe” Chagnon and his wife Marion enjoyed
7 years of business after leasing the store in March 1959

Joe’s Country Story along with Joe and Marion
appear in numerous newspapers ads
in St. Albans, Swanton, and Enosburg.






St Albans Daily Messenger April 4, 1962


Burlington Free Press February 2, 1977




Peter Perley and Richard Raymond 1966 to (1979) DBA Joe’s Country Store

The name “Joe’s Country Store” continued even under
new management. On 5/5/1966 the store lease went to
Peter Perley and Richard Raymond.
They filed the article for doing business
as Joe’s Country Store on May 17, 1966




St Albans Daily Messenger Sept 20, 1966

Peter Perley and Dick Raymond are seen here
with then Gov. Phil Hoff.
The Governor toured in Franklin County at harvest time
and was impressed by this 40 pound squash.





The End Of An Era

Last known as “The Village Market” the vacant building was torn down
in 1983 to make way for the Sheldon Volunteer Fire Department building.
This photo as a part of the UVM Historical Project shows
“The Village Market” owned by Missisquoi Corp
according to the UVM research team.
The building appears empty with windows boarded up.