Severance and Murphy

Historic Line of Ownership by deeds in the Sheldon Town Hall

Prior to 10/1/1854 land owned by August Burt
Edwin and Martha Bell purchased on 10/1/1854
Alvan and Amy Wires purchased on 10/26/1855 built the house
John Draper purchased on 1/21/1865
S H and Abby Eldred purchased on 11/1/1892
Frank and Flora Messier purchased on 9/18/1932
C L Kittell purchased on 10/17/1935
Donald Hemenway purchased on 3/18/1944
Ray and Yvette Severance purchased on 2/6/1967
Peter Murphy the current owner bought house on 5/15/2017

1982 Vermont Division For Historic Preservation Sheldon Survey

Owner: Severance build date not stated barn built c 1880
Gable front with long ell, 3×3 bay, 1 1/2 story side-hall plan Greek Revival house: aluminum siding, box-cornice, 8-pane knee wall windows along sides. Shuttered 2/2 sash. Brick foundation. Entry: full entablature over attenuated, recessed-panel pilasters flanking 3.4 sidelights South ell (with 8-pane knee wall windows) fronted by 1890 porch: turned Queen Anne posts with scroll brackets, square balusters. Unadorned hexagonal bay window in angle ell.
Property also includes an 1880 barn

Additional Information

John Draper sold a lot to George Maynard on 7/23/1885. While the Eldred’s owned the property they sold a small lot of 32 x 64 to L C Royce. On 5/16/1953 Donald Hemenway obtained full owership as a result of divorce. On July 2, 2007 Ray and Yvette deeded the property in Trust to their children and Yvette eventually sold to Peter Murphy