Bennett Property

Historic Line of Ownership by deeds in the Sheldon Town Hall

In 1870 A F Durkee and his wife purchased the land and built the house
10/1/1912 Herbert P and Jennie Marsh bought the house lived here 26 years
On 5/30/1938 John Potter and Gertrude Austin purchased
On 10/12/1972 T M Gallagher and R W Simonds bought the property
8/28/1973 Roger and Betsy Bennett purchased and continue to live here

In 1973 Roger and Betsy Bennett purchased the house and lot measuring 45 feet by 195 feet. On 1/21/1993 the Bennett’s purchased an additional 17.5 acres from John and Gertrude Austin. The Austin property bordered on the Masson and Spaulding property on the north and included borders on property owned by Severance, Phillips, Callan and Swainbank. The 1938 transfer from Marsh to Potter and Austin also included Jennie Marsh, Mary Marsh Austin and John Potter Austin heirs of the Austin estate. The property boundaries are well known but the passage of ownership among many citizens and relatives makes tracking the complete ownership difficulty but it would have originally been a part of the Sheldon estate.

1982 Vermont Division For Historic Preservation Sheldon Survey

Owned by Roger Bennett. Built around 1870
Description: 3×4 bay, gable front, 1 1/2 story brick Late Greek Revival/Italianate house: box cornice returns. Triangular gable attic window. 2/2 sash between rectangular lintels and sills. Simple trabeated entry bay has pair of glass-paneled Italianate doors fronted by hip-roofed porch; chamfered square columns on square bases, heavy scroll brackets support curvilinear cornice with patera decorations, cut-out scroll balusters, 2 story hexagon bay window (also 1 story on south) has scroll bracketed cornice. Rear wing: 1 1/2 story, gabled, has knee wall attic windows, shed-roofed dormer and c. 1900 turned-post porch