Welcome To



Vermont Historical Society
Follow Us On Facebook.

The St. Johnsbury and Lamoille Roadroad Bridges

The Lamoille Valley Railroad was chartered by the Vermont legislature about 1867, and the following year a survey was made, but not being satisfactory three or four more were made in order to ascertain the most feasible route. Work was commenced in 1870, but owing to a lack of funds  and financial crash of 1873 the road progressed slowly, the principal expenditure being made in advertising for help and getting them to work as long as they could by promises, and giving them plenty of tobacco and a few necessities. They would thus keep the help for about two or three months. The cost to the company through this town was only about $3,000 to the mile till they were ready to lay iron. In 1877 the road was completed and the first train passed over it July 27th, and soon after regular trains began run.  There are only about four miles of track in the town, and two stations, one at the village and one at the junction with the Missisquoi Valley Railroad.

History of Franklin and Grand Isle Counties, Vermont edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich (1881)


The Bridge at Sheldon Jct belonging to the St. J. and LVRR burned in 1903 due to unknown causes.
Here are rare photos of the event owned by the Sheldon Historical Society.



A new steel deck bridge was constructed almost immediately. Although it continues to span the Missisquoi River the LVRR abandoned it in 1997. Plans to use it for a hiking and biking rail trail persist.


Photo taken May 2017
3 span Warren through truss with all verticals
Length of largest span: 123.0 ft.
Total length: 369.0 ft.
Also called
LVRC - Bridge No. 93
StJ&LC - Bridge No. 93
StJ&LC - Sheldon Junction Bridge