Welcome To

 


 

Our Events
East Sheldon PO  

The East Sheldon Post Office opened in 1828 and remained open until 1901 with the excepton of 1888 and 1889. Typical of rural post offices offering limited service as well as limited employment, the East Sheldon location served its patrons from stores and homes in the vincinity of the East Sheldon Road intersection with the Kittell Road. East Sheldon consisted during this time of about a dozen houses owned by people noted in other history articles such as the Stebbins, the Shuttlebeans, the Wells, and the Graves. Also noteworthy on the map are a tannery and the Union Church both well document in history.

 

A more complete discussion of this post office history can be explored here

A list of Post Masters can be found here

North Sheldon PO  

North Sheldon sprang up on the St. Albans to Richford Highway as the half-way point along the Plank Road. Although primarily farm country, the map to the left clearly shows not only the Post Office but a school, a cheese factory, and a hotel. The Post Office began in 1854 under the leadership of Benjamin Fish Jr. At the end of the 18th century Daniel Fish cleared land at this locatio and built a home, a tavern, and other buildings. He along with a number of the Fish family members and Gallup family members maintained the post office with post masters changing frequently. The post office here was closed in 1965.

A more complete discussion of this post office history can be explored here

A list of Post Masters can be found PO North

 

Two other locations existed in the Town of Sheldon which houses postal facilities. One was in Sheldon Junction and one is in South Franklin near the intersection of Vermont Routes 105 and 236. Most of its history is recorded in the Franklin records since it was technically a part of that system.

Little has been written about the Sheldon Junction post office but with further research we may be able to post more details.