Welcome To

 


 

Coming
Events
Vermont Historical Society
Follow Us On Facebook.
North Sheldon
   

The 1871 Beers map above clearly identifies locations in the location we call No Sheldon at the intersections of Rte. 105 with Rte 120 and the Kane Road. What we now know as State Rte 105 bore the name of the St. Albans to Richford Road with North Sheldon marking the halfway point. In 1849, the then St. Albans Weekly Messenger stated

"PLANK ROAD - The inhabitants of the county of Franklin are hereby notified that a plank road is soon to be completed through the Town of Sheldon, in the center of said county - whereby, great advantages will be derived to the people of said County, in transporting their stoves and other castings.......

Although the original plan called for a full plank road from St. Albans to Richford the eastern terminus became North Sheldon at the halfway point. Although portions of the road to the east were completed, the entire plank road never became a reality. Before the second year of construction began and in the "Mud Season" of 1850, it became apparent that "Plank Roads" would not survive the damages of a northern Vermont winter and spring and the road became abandoned.

   

Clearly identified on the 1871 map are the multiple "Fish" residences, the "Fish's Hotel" with a post office in the hotel and Daniel Fish as the first postmaster,, the Railroad connecting St. Albans and Richford along with a depot, a cemetery, and a Cheese Factory also likely a creamery. You may also note "Continental Springs" which never developed into a "Resort Spring" but continued into the 1950s as a source of water for local farmers with a spring house on the Kane Road near the bridge. Although an antique barn marks the corner with the "Dodd" farm opposite little remains of this once prosperous although small hamlet. Its central location resulted in a covered bridge built in 1860 that survived until the current steel bridge following the flood of 1927.

   

This 1895 One Cent Postcard passed through North Sheldon on its way from NY.

A postmaster by the name of Hibbard Kindall tended the post office during this time.

   

Benjamin S Gallup arrived in North Sheldon coming from New Hampshire with his wife likely in the mid 1800s. He purchased some 300 acres of land which are shown in the 1871 Beers map under the names of B S Gallup, BSG and J C Gallup. This prosperous family began logging and opened a saw mill as well as a blacksmith shop. Using all materials produced on the farm Benjamin and his family began the construction of a large 14 room hotel at what is now the NW corner of Rte. 105 and 120 and also known now as the Dodd House. A look at the 1872 Beers map designates two buildings there as belonging to D. Fish. A more thorough search of land records would be needed to reveal the date the property changed hands.

The true significance of the structure rests in its survival right up to 2020 where it is now a private residence. Mr. Gallup saw the opportunity to house tired travels at this Halfway point between St. Albans and Richford and so he built this "Halfway House". Mr. Fish already housed some travelers in his Fish's Hotel opposite this corner but this did not see to interfere with business at the Halfway House. The existence of two accommodations for travelers in this small hamlet attests to the large number of people traveling the "Plank Road". Perhaps the long term survival and success of a 'hostel" not related to mineral springs was due to its elegant and firm structure. The best descrripton of this structure and its history are found in "Sheldon Vermont" by Dorothy Henenway Ashton (c) 1991 P 123-125. We quote that in it entirety below,

   
HALFWAY HOUSE AT NORTH SHELDON
   

"At North Sheldon near the Missisquoi Camp Grounds stands a magnificent, big, white house.  This was once known as Halfway House because it was situation halfway between St. Albans and Richford.  It sits on a rise of ground commanding a beautiful view of the Missisquoi valley.  Years ago it was owned by B S Gallup."

"Over 140 years ago when the house was built it was constructed for use as a hostelry.
It has been more than a century and a half since Benjamin S Gallup and his wife came here from New Hampshire in an ox card containing all their belongs.  They purchased a 300 acre tract of land

A saw mill and blacksmith shop were first constructed.  Then began the ‘getting out’ of logs for lumber for a large fourteen room hotel, which was to be used as a resting place for weary travels. 

The building was sheathed with clapboards some years ago but aside from that everything used in the construction of the building was made on the farm.  The house is put together with wooden pegs, the bricks used in the chimneys and fireplace were made there and the iron hinges for the doors – in face every piece of metal -  was fashioned on the forge of the blacksmith shop


The entire second floor of the building was the most novel in its arrangement and construction.  There were numerous bedrooms but within an half hour’s time the contents of the bedrooms could be removed, the movable partitions turned against the outside walls and there – as if a fairy had waved her magic wand, the entire second floor was transformed into a dance hall.  Even the fiddler’s box was there in the center of the floor. 

With the coming of a new century bringing different and improved ways of living, the dance hall etc. were done away with and five lovely bedrooms are now the second floor
"

   
The Dodd family purchased the farm in the 1950s and continue to hold ownership within the family. The intersection is now commonly refered to as Dodd's Corners. The other structure remaining on the corner is an old barn recently purchased by a local citizens and is currently undgoing some renovations.