Welcome To



Vermont Historical Society
Follow Us On Facebook.
Main Street and Rte 105 Bridges

In 1887 the State constructed a bridge across the Missisquoi River near Sheldon Jct. This was a two-span bridge 148 feet long.  The cost was approximately.$13,000. This bridge fell in the flood of 1927.

After the flood of 1927 the Vermont Construction Co; built a 2 span wrought iron double intersection Warren through truss bridge at the same location. It was 330 feet long with two spans. It was demolished and not replaced after the 1946 flood.

Photo taken in 1940


A flood in 1946 took out this bridge. It spanned from Sheldon Jct. between the CVRR bridge and the LVRR bridge and joined what is now the "Casino Road"
with what was then Main Street. The abutments on the east side of the river continue to give evidence of its existence.

Vermont Route 105 provides access between St. Albans and Enosburg. In order to drive to the village an underpass was constructed under the CVRR bridge provideing access along Main Streett o the village. The underpass shown here in 1940 continues to exist and can be seen under the current Missisquoi Rail Trail.

The currently existing concrete bridge over the Missisquoi along the Rte. 105 corridor was built in 1947