Welcome To

 


NEWS

Sheldon Historical Receives Grant

Sheldon HistoryTimeline
About Us
Historic Barns
Vermont Historical Society
Historic
People
 
Historic Bridge Street Gallery
Note: Larger copies of the images can be seen by clicking on them.

On This Map from 1857 you can see Bridge Street as it goes East from Main Street and intersects with what is now Church St and the former Depot Street.

At the location of our current Historical Society Building the Weed and Hapgood Store is noted.

Additional structures opposite, north of the building, and along with east side of Black Creek include the Wollen Mill, the Grist Mill and a Saw Mill.

The significance of our current location encompasses its significance in regards to the industrial and commerical development of Sheldon through the late 1700s and into the 1900s

In 1790 a foundry was built by the Keith brothers on the east side of the creek and opposite the current site.

This photo is of the WC Marsh store that replaced the Weed and Hapgood store after it burned in 1884. The time line is after 1897 when the building to the right was constructed by Mr Marsh to accommodate the Post Office. The railroad built in 1876 would be to the left of this structure. In the rear is the Alden Brother's Creamery. Note the horizontal line running to the left which actually joins the railroad siding to the creamery building.

In this photo note the cars instead of wagons and horses. Also the two lane covered bridge has been built. The buildings between the store and the bridge were built in 1897 by Mr Marsh. The bridge was constructed in 1836 and stood at that location until 1932.

The area, known as Post Office Square, encompassed the social, industrial, and commercial hub for the village. In addition to what is obvious there was also a dance/meeting hall over the store along with a barber shop and tin smith shop.

This photo more clearly denotes the structures to the right or west of the current society building. In addition a closer look at the post office window reveals the presence of the library which was housed there at the time.

Note the wooden walkway and the wooden rail on the right side of the store. The structure provided the avenue for the bridge fire in 1932.

Mr Mower undoubtedly rebuilt the store at our current location in 1932.

This photo of the Alden Brother Creamery shows the walkway to the railroad which would be to the right so this shot is from south to north along the former Depost Street.

A portion of the creamery boiler building stands to the rear or south of our current location and is schedule for exploration and some restoration.

In 1932 Mr Mower rebuilt the store the continues into existence to this day and was used continually as a "Country Store" through the 1950s.

Note the gas pumps as well as the recently uncovered country store facade. Also note that no structures remain to the right of the building.

This country store was the only structure rebuilt on this significant historical site following the fire of 1932.

The Sheldon Town Clerk occupied the lower level on the right or west side of the building as the Town Office until a new building was erected in 1952. That portion of the building remains intact and awaits further restoration.

In this photo, taken before the school was built in 1894 and the railroad in 1876 shows the store is located just above the covered bridge. Looking east from Main Street one clearly sees the industrial complex that existed and surrounded the current society location.
This photo shot from east to west shows the railroad tracks so it is after 1876 along with the store, the post office, the railroad, and the buidling opposite the store which was likely the black smith shop.
The railroad station built after 1876 occupies a location west of the railbed. This view, looking south toward the curve leading to Fairfield shows a second rail to the right along with structures to the south which were likely part of the brick kiln. It was torn down in 1980.

This Blacksmith Shop, phogo taken around 1906, located to the right of the bridge and close to the store burned in the fire of April 1932.

Additional structures lost in the fire included Alden Brother Creamery, the Managers House, the WC Marsh General Store, the Masonic Hall on the second floor, the Post Office, the Harness Shop on ground level, The Barber Shop, the H.H. Mower Hardware Store, Northrup Grist Mill and storage buildings, the covered bridge, the Saw Mill, the Wheelwright Shop, the office of Edgar Holmes owner of the Wheelwright Shop and the Saw Mill, and a shoe repair shop.

The remainder of the grist mill was demolished shortly after the fire by the Northrup family.

The significance of the impact of the fire can not be over emphasized.

fi