Welcome To

 


NEWS

Sheldon Historical Receives Grant

Sheldon HistoryTimeline
About Us
Historic Barns
Vermont Historical Society
Historic
People
 
Historic and Old Barns of Sheldon, VT
The Williams Barn - Sheldon Springs

When first settled Sheldon Springs bore the name "Olmsteadville" and this property's ownership rested with one Mary J Olstead who sold it to H H Mower and his wife Abbie in 1898. Since then it passed through a number of hands. The "Machia" family owned the barn, house and lot acquired by Debbie Williams and her husband the former Kenneth Williams in 1957. For many years prior to that the homestead for the Machia family passed through the hands of her grand father and great grand father. When Rte 105 relocated from the then Main Steet to its present roadbed the parcel was divided and sold off with just over 5 acres here.

The Radiant Star barn quilt is one of 262 documented in Franklin County. This one was painted in 2013 by the Sheldon Homemakers Club to celebrate the town's 250th anniversary.
The entrace to the hay loft on the east side shows some excellent stone work to form the ramp. The entrance through double doors offered a wide entrance for horse and wagon or tractor later on.
   
The former Dodd barn on Rte 105 at the Kane Road. AKA Dodd's Corners

The barn dating back to the late 1800s, sold in 2018, maybe removed for its building material or may be "Save" by citizen efforts.

Russell and Eleanor Dodd purchased the barn and property in 1961. The history of the barn and land stretch back into the 1800s with an 1899 deed establishing its location bound on the south by the Missisquoi River, one the east by John Fish and C.A. James, on the west by Charles Butlet and on the north by James McFeeters. Clinton & Ethel Beebe owned it then and the total farm was 171 acres.

It does not appear as a structure on the 1871 Beers maps/

A close examination of the barn with its unique silo suggests that it was once a dairy barn.

However, as the pictures below show, the heigth of the ground floor could not allow for cows.

The last farmers to use it, the Dodds, indicated that they used it for hay and equipment.